Wednesday 16 July 2014

All fun and games on maternity leave

Yesterday, I popped into work with the girls to show them off a bit. I've been on maternity leave since I was 33 weeks pregnant so I could spend time with Heidi and prepare her for the new arrival, so I've not been into work for about 5 months. It was really lovely seeing the children I used to work with, cooing over Harriet and waving to me from the sand tray at the far end of the classroom. Some children also felt the need to remind me of their names! I've not been gone that long! 

The classroom looked fantastic with some amazing displays and ideas. They had obviously had lots of fun without me! I noticed some new routines that had been introduced too. Dare I say that I felt a little bit... jealous? Left out? I'm on maternity leave with my two beautiful children for goodness sake. I'm not supposed to be missing work! I was invited on the class trip but we were away on holiday at the time (making the most of term time holidays while we can!). I was gutted that I couldn't go but thoroughly enjoyed my holiday all the same. When I eventually return to work in November (just in time for the nativity plays and Christmas activities - my favourite!), it will be all change. New children and a new colleague too! The teacher I used to work with will have moved to Year 3, so I'll be with a new early years teacher I've never met. I'm probably just a bit sad that I won't be working with the same team or children again.

It's not like I don't have any fun with Heidi and Harriet. I'm not incredibly fond of mum and baby groups but we certainly make the most of farms, parks and soft play. We play in the garden, get messy with paint and glitter, bake cakes and visit grandma lots  too! At the moment I get the best of both worlds. Even when I am at work I have the evenings, weekends and school holidays to spend with my family. I have a little feeling it will be different once I qualify as a teacher, so I'm not going to wish this time away! I'll definitely be giving work a wide berth until it's time to go back.

Alison x

No comments:

Post a Comment