Friday 18 July 2014

Our holiday



We have just returned from two weeks in Aberystwyth. We had an amazing time! Chris and I both love camping but we weren't keen on it with Harriet at only 3 month olds. Camping is fantastic fun but hard work at the best of times. The thought of taking Heidi and Harriet anywhere on a plane is equally as stressing, so a static caravan was the best option. Luckily, we have a caravan in the family so it was cheap and it's also on a great site with a beach. What more could we want?

Chris invested in a roof bag to give us extra space in the car, as Millie (the dog) would be in the boot. It made a huge racket on the roof for the entire 3 hour journey and I was constantly checking the mirrors for runaway luggage! We eventually arrived in one piece and Heidi, our two year old, took to her new home straight away. I worried about getting her to sleep in an unfamiliar bed but I needn't have. She jumped straight in each night and only fell out a couple of times during the holiday!



There was loads to do! We went swimming, watched the red kites being fed, held a snake and fed monkeys at the zoo, and took a ride on the cliff railway. However, the best days were unplanned days on the beach, building sandcastles, eating ice cream and playing Frisbee. The weather was gorgeous most days, so Heidi was continuously smothered in SPF50 (and then sand!), while Harriet was tucked away safely under the snooze shade or beach tent. I'm sure we managed to squeeze an ice-cream in on the couple of rainy days we had too!


Driving a train

Creating memories for my children to share when they have their own families is very important to me. I want Heidi and Harriet to remember their family holidays, like I do mine. I really don't think it matters where children go on holiday. It was just so refreshing to spend time with my family without worrying about chores! I was able to have a guilt-free cuggie with Harriet or say to Heidi, "of course I'll build a sandcastle!" rather than "I just need to do this first". I know its a cliché but whether its all inclusive abroad in sunny Spain, camping in not-so-sunny Scotland or travelling around Europe, its the quality time spent with mummy and daddy that Heidi and Harriet will cherish the most.

Love and cuggies,

Alison x


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really lovely holiday. Creating family memories is so important. I love the pic of Heidi on the log/train. Adorable! x

    ReplyDelete