Thursday 31 July 2014

Choosing Childcare

Im in a bit of a predicament. My two year old, Heidi, attends a day nursery on the one day a week that my fantastic mum can't have her. The nursery is really flexible around work hours, I only pay for the hours that Heidi goes and they offer term time only places, ideal as I only work term time! As an added bonus, my sister works there so Heidi always has a familiar face and I don't  feel like I'm leaving her with strangers. Everyone was happy, including my bank balance.

However its all gone a bit wrong. My sister has let me in on a little secret that the nursery is planning to change the hours available to children. Half-days will either be mornings or afternoons, not any six hours I want. They are also getting rid of the baby room, which I was about to book baby Harriet into for when I return to work. The nursery is now no use to me at all! It's a real shame as Heidi was really settled and I had planned to leave her where she was until she could go to school. Now, I have to look for an alternative. Luckily, I'm on maternity leave until November so I have time to shop about a bit to find the perfect solution.

I suppose the best fit would be a childminder as they are more likely to offer flexibility around hours and a home from home feel, which I like. However, I don't have much experience of childminders and the only one that has been recommended is unavailable. So that leaves me with day nurseries. And there are plenty to choose from! I worked for many years in a day nursery so I must say I feel slightly more confident in what I'm looking for. A safe secure environment that's bright and stimulating with happy children engaged in their play. Simple!

Actually, it's not simple at all. Most nurseries are fantastic and follow the Early Years Foundation Stage to the letter. Some nurseries go that little bit further, but not all nurseries are going to suit me and, more importantly, my girls. With so many day nurseries in my area I need to decide what I want the nursery to offer. Some nurseries are very modern with brand spanking new toys and high tech security systems. Some are open plan and allow children of different ages to mix, where as other nurseries have separate age groups. Do I want a large nursery with large groups and numerous amounts of staff or a small nursery with only a handful of children? Do I want the nursery to offer day trips? What about the outdoor environment? There's so much to consider!

Of course I can do my research online, looking at websites, reviews and Ofsted reports. But 
I also need to get a feeling that 'this is the one'. And I can only do that by visiting them. All the nurseries that I have contacted and that have a space available, have ticked my first box. No appointment necessary. This means I can pop in when it suits and see the nursery running as usual. A couple of nurseries advised me to avoid lunchtime which is perfectly acceptable. I understand from experience how busy lunchtime can be in a day nursery and its usually followed by nap time, so I'm quite happy to follow that advice!

When I eventually get round to visiting this is what I will be hoping for:
  • A safe and secure building. Not all nurseries have the funds for a sophisticated security system but locked doors are a must! I will be looking at how people enter and exit the building. I don't want a prison but I would like my children to be where I left them!
  • A warm welcome. How do staff interact with me and my children? Are staff genuinely happy and pleased to see us? Are STAFF happy to be there? Fortunately, most early year practitioners are naturally chatty and bubbly, so I don't think this will be an issue.
  • Knowledgeable staff. Don't worry I'm not going to raid the office for evidence of qualifications! Neither will I expect staff to reel off the entire EYFS to perfection! More simply, can staff confidently tell me about the routine of the day? Do they offer examples of activities? Can they tell me what types of meals they provide? If they don't know the answer can they point me in the direction of someone who does?
  • A positive atmosphere. Are the children enjoying what they are doing? Do staff respond to children appropriately? Is there a bond between staff and children? Are children cuddled and tickled? Do staff squish up on the cushions with three children on their lap to share a story? Do the babies light up with smiles and coos at the sight of their key person? Do staff hold and comfort the babies with confidence, as if they were their own? I understand I wont be able to see all of this happening. But I'll definitely be able to feel it.
  • A happy Heidi! This is the most important one. Harriet is only 4 months old so her decision is really left to me. Heidi, however, knows her own mind a bit more. I had my reservations about the nursery that Heidi currently attends, but when she was extremely disappointed to see me after one of her taster sessions I knew she was in the right place. I ended up going home so she could stay for lunch! At two years and eight months old, she's not going to give me a lengthy opinion and anywhere with new toys and activities to explore is always going to be a winner. It's the subtle clues in her behaviour that will speak volumes.
I know this is nothing new. Families choose and settle their children into new nurseries every day. But I can now see the struggle from both sides. While early years practitioners battle to reassure parents that nurseries are not the horror stories they are perceived to be by the media, parents fight with the guilt of leaving their children. As much as I love my job and as much as I advocate early years education, in an ideal world only myself, my partner or my close family would look after my girls!

Writing this post has helped me to identify exactly what I am looking for in a nursery. Loving and affectionate staff that will create a home from home environment. If I can recommend anything to help other mums and dads out there, it's to do the same. Write down what you hope to find on each visit to help you work out what type of nursery you're after. Visit lots of nurseries and have fun!

Hopefully, I'll have an update of how the visits went very soon!

Love and cuggies,

Alison x

No comments:

Post a Comment